“Light Emitting Diodes” shortly called as LED were first invented in 1927 but the proper usage of these tiny little light was invented in 1962 as glowing red indicators. LED grow lights are used by companies today in horticulture purpose. It’s an artificial light source provided for the plant to perform photosynthesis in case when they natural sun light is not sufficient for the plant.
These LED grow lights provide a particular light spectrum equivalent to that of the sun or as per the amount required by the plant to grow effectively. These are considered to be cost-effective methods since Led lights are cheaper compare to incandescent and fluorescent lights. They produce more light energy and uses 10% of the electricity used by the other lights.
How traditionally cannabis cultivators did indoor cultivation:
There were 2 types of lights utilized for cultivation. Metal halide bulbs and High pressure sodium (HPS) bulbs. Metal halide bulbs were utilized at the vegetative stage of growth and HPS bulbs during the flowering stage of growth. These bulbs would emit blue spectral energy and red spectral energy respectively that leads to the cultivation and growth of cannabis.
Modern Technique To Grow Cannabis Through LED Lights:
Until 2014, Led lights were not used for cultivation purpose because they lacked the blue light emitting diodes which were very crucial for the plant to grow. In 2014, Isamu Akasaki, Hiroshi Amano and Shuji Nakamura were awarded by the noble prize for invention of efficient blue light-emitting diodes which makes cultivation using Led possible.
But cultivators need to ensure they use LED lamp for grow medical cannabis which has the capacity to produce light spectrum powerful enough to help the plant to grow.
Why LEDs Are Better Than HPS And Fluorescent Lights:
- Usage of electricity: LEDs uses 70-90% less energy compared to HPS and fluorescent lights. Thus leading to reduction in total energy or electricity consumption and reduction in bills.
- Effectiveness: when we compare the life span of LEDs to HPS, they have 10 times more life span. HPS starts to lose its effectiveness after a certain amount of time whereas LEDs are consistent with the performance.
- Produces more light and less heat: LEDs emits low heat and hence it is more effective for the cultivation purpose. On the contrary HPS emits more of heat and less of light due to which they yield less results and are to be monitored continuously.
Future Of LEDS In Cultivation Of Cannabis:
- High yield: Increase in output of the total crop production will be possible using the LED light technology. Looking at the current acceptance of the cannabis cultivators for the usage of LED lights we can easily predict an increase in the total cultivation of the product.
- Improvement in the current technology: LED producers are trying hard enough to make the product better and better for the usage of cultivation so as to increase the total production level. This would also lead to reduction in overall cost of production.